Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Pseudo midlife (?) crisis (??)

So, I kind of had a pseudo midlife crisis.  Although, what really counts as midlife? Should I say, I just had a pseudo crisis?

Anyway, I've mentioned in the past that I would like to pursue writing but am extremely terrified to do it.  Instead, for the past decade, I've been chasing money in a career that I am fairly good at but not super passionate about.  Don't get me wrong, I always want to do a great job and I have a high work ethic but there's a part of me that feels that I could possibly have a career in something where I feel my soul is being nourished.

A bunch of different events happened which led up to me taking a 6 week sabbatical from work.  Mostly to figure out what I want to do (I have a very understanding workplace) and where I want to go.  I decided to give a valiant effort to writing and just finished a script deadline for a production company the other day.  Now, if I get to the next stage, I figure it may mean I might have a chance at this.  I've also decided to enter two other writing contests: one for female comedy writers and another soliciting a bunch of shorts. So, the opportunities are there, it's up to me to go after them.

In the meantime, I do have one BIG problem with writing. It's starting to write. I tend to procrastinate and pace and ponder and freak out about what I'm going to write. I'm not sure why. Kind of how I feel about going to the gym. I hate going to the gym but once, I'm there, I'm glad I'm there and I feel a million times better that I went.  Same with writing, I hate having to start writing (mostly because I think I'll be spewing crap--like the crap I spewing on this blog at this moment) but once I get into it, I find myself writing for a few hours or so.

So, in an effort to keep myself motivated to writing, I've decided to write in this blog 5x a week, like a job, to give me a warm up to start writing my shorts/scripts/pilots.  To make it easier on myself, I'm going to give a general topic for each day of the week.

Hence my daily to-write topics:
Monday: Manic Mondays -- I will write about stuff I hate
Tuesday: Topical Tuesdays -- This will be about something that is current or in the news
Wednesday: Watch-it Wednesdays -- a review or an observation about a movie or tv show I watched since I'm obsessed with film and television
Thursday: Throwback Thursdays -- a story from my past
Friday: Fictional Friday -- a fictional short story, poem (in case I get lazy), anecdote, statement

I wish I could draw on the internet (maybe I can try on my Surface Pro, something I got to be a 'real writer' but mostly to 'look like' a 'real writer' more than anything, then I would draw something awesome, but you're going to have to settle for my words.

Anyway, I shall start with Manic Mondays, today. After I walk around and think and panic about writing for a bit.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment